Sunday, January 8, 2012

Quick Cinnamon Rolls

This morning, I decided that I really wanted cinnamon rolls for breakfast.  I have been wanting to try this recipe for awhile, but when I read through it this morning I knew there was no way it was going to happen today.  I don't want to eat cinnamon rolls in the middle of the afternoon...so I needed a recipe that wouldn't take half a day.  (Someday, I will get around to making the dough the night before so I can enjoy the pull-apart cinnamon bread for breakfast.)  To google I went, and typing in "quick cinnamon rolls" got me a bunch of recipes using "yellow cake mix" or "1 can of rolls" or other such cheater methods involving not-from-scratch ingredients that I don't have and am not going to buy.  Then I tried "quick cinnamon rolls from scratch" and found this website which led me to this website and recipe.  I'm not a huge fan of biscuits, so I probably wouldn't have even looked at Ezra Pound Cake's recipe if I hadn't been led to it by someone else.  Actually, I was so busy scanning the recipe I didn't even notice that "biscuit" was in the title until after I'd already made them. 

Here's my recipe...modified from the original, of course

Dough
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 heaping tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 c heavy cream
1 c wheat flour
1 1/2 c white flour
1 red delicious apple, chopped

Filling
1/4 c brown sugar
4 heaping tsp cinnamon (can you tell I like cinnamon?)

Glaze
2 tbsp cream cheese
2 tbsp pumpkin butter
dash of heavy cream
6-8 tbsp confectioner's sugar (they were heaping tbsp and I lost count...)
3 (or so...) tbsp milk


Procedure
I mixed all the dry ingredients together, then added the heavy cream, and then the apples.  Very Sticky!  I put a sheet of wax paper on the counter, lightly floured it, set down the sticky dough, pressed it down into something relatively flat and less than an inch thick, then put another sheet of wax paper on top and rolled it out. I think I ended up rolling it out to less than 1/2 inch, because I didn't actually read the part of the directions where it said how thick to make it.  This turned out to be a problem. 

I removed the top sheet of wax paper and poured a little bit of cream on top of the flattened dough, then spread it over the top using the back of a spoon.  Then, I sprinkled the cinnamon filling on top and attempted to roll it up.  It proved rather difficult, due to the dough wanting to stick to the wax paper, and the holes that appeared, especially around the apples since the dough had been rolled to thin to hold them well.  But somehow I got it rolled.  Then I sliced it into 1 or 1 1/2 inch slices and laid the slices down in a baking pan.  Into the 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.

When they came out of the oven, I poured the glaze over some of them.  I didn't want to pour it over all of them in case it didn't turn out that well. 

Procedure by Picture
















Oh, in case you're wondering...the cinnamon rolls were delicious.  And so was the pumpkin glaze.  I will still have to make real cinnamon rolls someday, but this recipe will do for the days when I wake up wanting cinnamon rolls and don't already have dough ready in the fridge.

No comments :

Post a Comment