Saturday, June 9, 2012

Steamed Asparagus

Steamed Asparagus...and some other things of course.  Because asparagus doesn't make a meal. 



Thank you, Alton Brown.  I turned on the TV the other day while I was eating lunch so I could...watch somebody else making food... and this is what I found.  I'm still not an asparagus lover, but it's supposedly super good for you, and I just happened to pick some up the last time I went grocery shopping so...

So today, I decided to try his asparagus-steaming method.  I don't normally cook lunch, but I was short on options, and didn't really feel like a tuna-sandwich.  I ran a 5 mile race this morning (came in 1st place overall with a time of 33:08...felt good to beat all the guys...) and I wanted a nice big pasta lunch to refuel.  So I made some sort of tuna-mac, and decided to have asparagus on the side for a vegetable.  Because otherwise I would have had to make a salad...and I'm getting bored of salads.  And I'm pretty sure salads are NOT the food of champions...just because.

So for the asparagus...I soaked a couple of paper towels, chopped the ends off of about 20 asparagus stalks, and laid them on the towels.  I sprinkled them with salt, garlic powder, lime juice, and fresh basil.  Then I rolled it up, put the roll on a plate, stuck it in the microwave, and set it for 3 minutes.  They came out super bright green which is awesome...because it means I didn't cook out too many of the nutrients.


I still don't love asparagus...but these were definitely more on the edible side of the asparagus-scale.  They actually weren't too bad.  If only they didn't taste quite so much like...asparagus...


The tuna-mac was pretty simple, just pasta, tomato soup, tuna, and shredded cheese.  It would have been way better if I had baked it, but I was too hungry to wait that long.



And of course...what's a celebratory meal without a tasty beverage?  The cantaloupe I chopped up the other day was super juicy, so I saved the juice.  Today, I added some lemonade to that juice.  And some whiskey.  It was tasty and refreshing. And pretty.  




No comments :

Post a Comment