Monday, July 9, 2012

Sloppy Joe

Ah what a day.  Went for an awesome trail run this morning.  Since the trail has not yet been fixed up after the storm, this run involved a lot of climbing over, under, and around large, uprooted trees.  Slightly annoying, but somehow it wasn't that big a deal.  More of an adventure.  Plus, I got to cool off/clean off with a swim in the creek afterwards. Not to mention the view from the top of the mountain mid-run.  Blue Bend trail has one of the most stunning scenic overlooks ever.  Not sure I've ever had a more perfect summer run.  Now I just have to wait and see if I ran through any poison ivy...

I feel like it has been forever since I concocted something completely new in the kitchen.  I'm so glad I found some time to play this evening!  I was pretty happy with these sloppy joes.  I think the only thing I would really change is the sugar.  They weren't too sweet, but they were close, so I might try half the amount of sugar next time.

Look at that big pile of yumminess...


INGREDIENTS

1 lb ground beef 
1/2 small vidalia onion, chopped
4 large mushrooms, chopped
5 oz tomato soup
2 heaping spoonfuls of plain yogurt
1/8 c ketchup
scant 1/2 c brown sugar
garlic powder, chili powder, cocoa powder

PROCEDURE

Brown the chopped onion in a little bit of olive oil, then add the tomato soup.  Add the ground beef and use a spatula or spoon to break the beef up into small chunks.  Add all other wet ingredients.  Allow the mixture to boil, but stir frequently.  When the meat is mostly cooked, add all of the remaining ingredients except for the mushrooms.  Cook, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid has boiled off and the mixture is thick enough to put in a sandwich.  Add the mushrooms and cook until they are done, then remove pan from heat.  
Build a sandwich.  Eat the sandwich.  Knife and fork required. 



PICTURES

onion

mushrooms

yummy tomato soup ( I used half of this container)

1st spoonful of yogurt

1st spoonful of sugar

boil, boil, boil

finally thick enough to add the mushrooms

yum

whole wheat bun, provolone cheese, fresh tomato

time to eat!

Don't forget to have some vegetables!
(arugula, avocado, carrot, zucchini, granny smith apple, sunflower seeds, homemade dressing)


No comments :

Post a Comment