Sunday, February 17, 2013

Brussels Sprout Soup

I was perusing the produce section of Kroger yesterday morning and the brussels sprouts caught my eye.  I may or may not have ever gotten brave enough to try a brussels sprout before, but I know they're really good for you.  And I've heard recently that they are only nasty when you boil them, and that they are actually quite good if you bake them.  So, I said what the heck and bought a package of them.  I saved a few to bake later in the week, but most of them went into the soup I made today.  Which I just put away in the fridge even though I still haven't taste-tested it.


I didn't really measure most of the vegetables I used, but I'll make guesses for you...


Brussels Sprout Soup
1 stick of butter
4 c water
1 c veggie stock
3 c brussels sprouts, quartered
3 carrots, chopped
a bit of chopped onion
2 c chopped cabbage
garlic cloves to taste, minced
ginger root, grated
1/2 c quinoa
2 b/s chicken breasts, poached & shredded
seasonings to taste

steam the veggies and butter in a large soup pot


brown the garlic & ginger in some olive oil, then add to the soup pot


when the veggies are soft, add the water, veggie stock, and seasonings


add the quinoa, cook til done


add the chicken



No comments :

Post a Comment