Thursday, March 7, 2013

Hybrid Cornbread

I knew I was making Sloppy Joes for dinner last night, and I planned to make some sort of bread to go with them.  I was thinking about making Cider Rolls, but then it occurred to me that I have not made cornbread in a long time, and that it would probably go quite well with Sloppy Joes.  So I set out to make cornbread.  When it came time to add the cornmeal, I discovered that I only had 3/4 cup left, and my recipe calls for 1 1/4 cups.  Since I already had most of the batter thrown together, it was too late to change my mind.  So I used whole wheat flour as a substitute for the missing corn meal, and hoped for the best.  It worked out pretty well.  Hooray!


Hybrid Cornbread
preheat oven to 425

mix together:
2 tbsp melted butter
1 c milk
1 egg

mix together separately:
3/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
3/4 c flour
3/4 c cornmeal
1/2 c wheat flour

Dump the dry ingredients into the wet and stir until just combined.  Grease a 9x9 pan and pour in the batter.
Bake for 20-25 minutes (until a toothpick comes out clean)

Tastes like...cornbread.  The substitution of wheat flour for some of the cornmeal does not significantly diminish the cornbread taste.  

And it is excellent as a Sloppy Joe base. 


This picture is from last night's dinner.  Tonight, I added an avocado on top.  Major deliciousness. 




No comments :

Post a Comment