Sunday, September 16, 2012

Chicken Veggie Soup


My first ever attempt at a non-cream based soup!  I've never been a huge fan of broth-y soups, but my immune system went on vacation last night and I succumbed to a cold.  I decided that was as good an excuse as any to attempt chicken noodle soup.  I know you're supposed to buy a whole chicken and boil the whole things to get a nice chicken broth, but there was no way I was going to that much trouble.  Nor was there any way I was going to the grocery store for a whole chicken.  I just bought some b/s breasts yesterday.  No need to go back to the store.  





I didn't get the chicken started until after I'd already started browning the veggies, so the veggies ended up having to simmer for a long time waiting for the chicken to finish.  Next time I will be sure to start the chicken first, and brown the veggies when the chicken is almost done!  

The broth was not quite as flavor-full as I had hoped.  I added some salt to my bowl at dinner, but it still tasted a bit watery.  I don't want to just dump a bunch of salt into it, I've been trying not to eat excessive amounts of sodium because it causes leg cramps when I run.  I'll have to experiment more with the seasoning next time to see if I can get more flavor into the broth without just relying on salt.  




No comments :

Post a Comment